Refocusing energy policy on buildings to save over £12bn per year
Industry today set out ambitious recommendations to all political parties for how the UK economy could save billions by placing buildings at the heart of energy policy.
The Sustainable Energy Association’s Manifesto, published on 7 July, uses the Government’s own online calculator to demonstrate how an ambitious programme of insulating buildings, and producing more energy directly from buildings themselves could net savings to the economy averaging £12.1bn per year from now until 2050. This is equivalent to a £189 saving per year, every year, for every UK citizen[i]
The SEA manifesto calls on all major political parties to adopt a renewed approach to energy policy, focusing on:
• An Energy in Buildings Strategy
• A major focus on the use of smart technology to treat buildings as an integral part of the energy system
• A new approach to home heating, recognising the potential of the heating installer
• A major infrastructure-based energy refurbishment of the UK’s buildings
Dave Sowden, Chief Executive said:
“We have known for a long time that energy measures in buildings are cheaper in the long-run. Now the Government’s own tools and assumptions yield the same answer. There is a compelling case here to create a much stronger focus in energy policies on buildings. This will reduce waste, enhance energy security, reduce imported fossil fuels, lower people’s fuel bills and make a huge contribution to the UK economy. It is win/win all round.
“Technology manufacturers, installers, merchants, financiers and engineers; all have mobilised to identify how we can deliver an ambitious and affordable energy future for the UK. This Manifesto is our appeal to all the main political parties to come with us and build new consensus on energy policy, with buildings at its heart.”
Media / Interview Enquiries
External Affairs Manager
Sustainable Energy Association
0121 709 5587
Notes to editors
- The Sustainable Energy Manifesto, produced by the SEA and its member companies was published on 07 July 2014. To download the Manifesto in full click here.
- The Sustainable Energy Association is a member based industry body offering innovative policy solutions that link up building-level technologies and the wider energy system to achieve a low carbon, secure energy future for the UK, benefits for UK consumers, and commercial growth for businesses working in the sector.
- The SEA infographic was published in March2014, using economic analysis that demonstrates that “demand-side” measures such as energy saving and low carbon or renewable production in buildings are a cheaper way of meeting our energy needs. – See more at: http://sustainableenergyassociation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/SEA_Infographic.pdf
- The Sustainable Energy Association’s DECC Pathways calculator scenario can be accessed by clicking here
 Based on an estimated UK population of 64m.